It’s not easy finding a job in today’s market. More and more people are out of work every day which means that they are fighting with you for the job you want. But that doesn’t mean that it is impossible to find a job in today’s market. If you have been on the hunt for a job for a long time with no results you should take a look at these seven signs which will let you know if you need to make changes to your job search strategy.
1) You feel the whole world is against you. Once you start thinking that every employer in town in out to get you, it’s time to take a look at what you’re doing. It might seem like some employers played favorites to their nephews and gave them the job over you. Even if it’s true it is nothing against you. Don’t let it get you down and continue search.
2) You’ve been looking for a new job for a year. Yes, it’s a tough market, but it shouldn’t take you a year to get a job. You need to seriously ask yourself why it is taking so long. Are you not motivated to look for a job? Are you hoping for someone to give you a job?
3) You don’t get any interviews. If you are applying to multiple jobs and haven’t gotten a single interview you have to review your resume and cover letter. No matter how much you like it, you must go through both of them and make some changes. There is a reason you aren’t getting calls.
4) You get a lot of first interviews, but nothing after that. In this case you might have the perfect resume and cover letter, but you lack interviewing skills. Maybe you have not prepared adequately for the interview or just need practice.
5) You’re not expanding your search. This world is so great because the internet does all that we need. But there are other sources out there. If you’re only looking at the internet for jobs you are boxing yourself in. Less than 25% of the jobs are advertise on the internet. The rest will come from networking, word of mouth and referrals.
6) You feel the need to do something huge to catch the interviewer’s attention. If you are going into interviews with a cupcake for the interviewer it will come off as cheesy. The same goes if you call them every ten minutes to find out if you got the job or not. If you are doing things like this it might be time to take a week off and clear your mind.
7) When you ask your old co-workers for help none of them are willing to. If you ask a buddy to get you an interview with his uncle, but he keeps telling you later, later it might be because your friend doesn’t trust your work ethic. If all of your friends are giving you the cold shoulder, you need to find out why.
It’s not easy finding a job. But it shouldn’t take a long time to get one. If you are having problems you need to take a look at the list above and find out where you stand. Don’t take it personal. Make some changes. Add some spark into your search and in no time you’ll be at work with the job search nothing but a distant past.