For many, the morning routine is one that is filled with dread. Plodding through breakfast and getting dressed for the day, thoughts turn to what can be done after work instead of enjoying what happens during work. If the average person spends 40 hours per day working at a job and all of those hours are miserable, then nearly one quarter of life is a negative experience!
Life doesn’t have to be that way. Here are some tips to help you make work become one of your happy places:
1. Incorporate your organization’s mission into your daily job routines. Most companies have a very clear and concise mission statement. Many are similar to something like this: “We strive every day to improve the lives of our customers in a brand new way.” How can you make that idea become a reality for you as you take care of your daily tasks? By working to inspire others, we often inspire ourselves because we can connect our lives to the lives of those we’re helping in some way with our job.
2. Let your talents drive you at work. Even if you’re in a job that you don’t prefer, you can still let your talents flow with every task. If you’re a natural salesperson, for example, but you work as an administrative assistant, you could utilize your talent for sales to create convincing documents that further your company’s mission. Talents often get noticed… even if they aren’t always outspokenly appreciated all the time!
3. Challenge yourself with short-term goals. Employers are notoriously bad for not providing a lot of feedback about your job performance. Just because they don’t set goals for you, however, doesn’t mean that you can’t set goals for yourself! By setting short-term goals that excite and drive you, you’ll always be at the top of your game at work and producing quality work.
4. When you meet one of your goals, don’t forget to reward yourself! Rewards are always part of the achievement process. Without rewards, there is ultimately very little to motivate someone to continue finding success. You can reward yourself in a number of ways, from a day of pampering on one of your day’s off to a gadget you’ve always wanted or even just a mental health sick day that you take after the job is done so you can relax with your favorite movies. Whatever it is you like to do, make sure you do it after a job well done
5. Focus on the quality of the work, not the outcome of the work. A quality job will always produce a quality outcome, but often the outcome is looked at before the quality of the work. By focusing on the fine details of a job and working hard to create an as close to perfect product as possible, the outcomes will naturally come along for the ride. Take pride in always doing a good job!
You don’t have to allow a quarter of your life to be negative every year. Implement these tips to make work a happier place and you may just find that life will become much happier too!